Tuesday, November 13, 2012

S-I-N-G-L-E-L-I-F-E: Do You Know What That Means?

S-I-N-G-L-E-L-I-F-E coincides with I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T.  If you scream one or the other too loud, you will get one or the other in return.  When you're single, you learn to be independent, and when you're independent, you somehow find yourself, single, especially if you are a woman.

You see someone like myself, single, although some may beg to differ, but mentally, I am very much single, I like to be independent.  It doesn't necessarily mean that I cannot be dependent on someone else, but often times than not, I find myself, let down or disappointed in someone that I thought I could depend on.  If not that, the one that I thought I could depend on, usually depends on me.  So some time in my life, I feel like I should be able to find a happy medium in someone.  I think.

What's funny is, when people meet someone so independent and single like myself, they ask the cliche question of "Why?".  A part of me wants to scream that if you have to ask why, you probably wouldn't understand.  Matter of fact, why ask why?  I mean if I am single and you are trying to get to know me, what difference does it make if I am single?  Wait, perhaps if I tell you I am single because I killed my ex, then I could understand why you asked, but if all is still well, be glad I am entertaining you.  Asking someone why are they single is like opening the door to the past and the past stories a lot of men claim they don't want to know about, especially on the first encounter.

Women, have you noticed that if you don't ask a man whether or not he is single, he will either lie about it anyway or not disclose that information unless you ask.  Otherwise, whether you are single are not, unless you ask them, they won't tell.  Something like "don't ask don't tell..." but I digress.

If  we are as beautiful as we look and as witty as we seem, men are either intimidated by it or they like it.  Many of the single women in my position don't choose to be single, but would love for someone to understand who they are and what their standards are.  I am not saying that everyone should be in some type of relationship, but when you are single, smart, beautiful, and in some cases, childless, it makes you more of a risk to men than you think because they almost think you are crazy or that something is wrong with you.  In my experience, get to know the men and after a few months, you will find out what's really wrong...with them.  I wear my "single" badge proudly, but I don't always compliment it or drown it out with my independence and self reliance, a lot of us don't.  I guess when men can see that you are independent, they misunderstand the entire situation.  It be like that sometimes...when you're living single... :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment